Rutabaga Root Review


I'd never thought of rutabaga (aka swede or 'yellow' turnip) as anything more than an occasional ingredient in a meaty stew. I seem to have some ancient memories of being served a bitter, yellowy mash of swede and that association lingers as a mental barrier for my using them more often in cooking.

My most recent Food Share Good Food Box included a couple of local organic rutabagas and an info sheet about the vegetable with recipes. I decided to give the Rutabaga Puff recipe a try and I'm really happy that I did.
(It's the 2nd recipe on the 2nd page of this linked PDF file).

The result was a tasty dish that had a pudding or quiche-like texture. It's rich and gorgeous golden yellow colour almost glowed on the plate. The rutabaga taste was light and pleasant with not a trace of bitterness, leaving a lingering creaminess on the palate.

I cooked the rutabaga puff in a 1 litre casserole as per the recipe which worked out fine, but it can be tricky to get it out of the casserole and cut into servings without having it fall apart and ruin the presentation. Next time I think I'd try cooking it in individual serving size bowls or ramekins. I may have to experiment and adjust the cooking time for the smaller size dishes.

Comments