My Good Food Box


I picked up my first Good Food Box from FoodShare.

I chose the $32 Large Organic selection because it was promoted as the one which would have the most local and seasonal produce in it. Keeping in mind that it is mid-February and deep into the winter season here in Toronto, 3 of my 11 items where sourced locally. I expect to see that proportion increase once we move into spring.
  • 2 small rutabaga (local)
  • 5 lbs red potatoes (Pfenning's - product of CANADA)
  • 2 lbs carrots (Pfenning's - product of USA)
  • 1 broccoli (Joe Heger Farms/Desert Vegetables - El Centro, California)
  • 1 cauliflower (Lakeside Organic Gardens - Watsonville, California)
  • 3 lbs small red apples (local)
  • 2 avocado (Gold VallĂ©e)
  • 2 grapefruit
  • 5 bananas (Bonita - product of ECUADOR)
  • 1 red leaf lettuce
  • 2 vine-ripe hot-house tomatoes (Covilli Brand - Calexico, California - product of MEXICO)
The overall quality of the items was fine. The broccoli started fading right away but then I remembered being worried when my supermarket broccoli stayed green for weeks and weeks on end. I think fading is probably normal.

Sometimes the country of origin is not clear or obvious. The carrots were branded as Pfenning's, from Baden, Ontario, but also labelled as 'Product of USA'.

I'll pick up my next box on March 8. After that I expect to alternate between 2 pickup locations so that I'll have a new box every week. I'll post pictures and descriptions of the contents.

Comments